Breaking News

Airport Awarded $246,890.80 Grant from Arkansas Department of Aeronautics

BY MELANIE BUCK –

Mena Intermountain Municipal Airport was awarded a $246,890.80 grant by the state to replace the lighting system on runway 17-35 and to purchase a new regulator. Will Robbins, manager of the airport, traveled to Little Rock on Wednesday to present the grant paperwork to the Arkansas Department of Aeronautics.

The grant is an 80/20 grant, meaning that the state will pay 80 percent of the total estimated cost, while the owners (the city of Mena) will be responsible for the remaining 20 percent. During discussion of the project during the January meeting of the Airport Commission, a ‘Pre-Bid Opinion of Probable Construction Costs’ was presented by Greg Shipley, of Morrison Shipley, for lights to be installed and the construction that would be needed to complete the project. The grand total of the pre-bid was $297,392.

Robbins said during the January meeting that the project is expected to be completed, weather dependent, by the end of April. Some of the lights that will be installed will replace reflectors that pilots find hard to see at night.

remax-web-123014

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *