BY MELANIE BUCK –
Early voting continues as the November 8, 2016 General Election Day approaches. Record numbers of early voters have turned out in Polk County and have kept poll workers busy at the Polk County Office Complex, which plays home to early voting. During the first week of early voting, Monday, October 24th through Saturday, October 29th, 2,076 voters cast their ballots, an unprecedented number since County Clerk Terri Harrison has worked in the office. As of Monday, October 31st, a total of 2,420 had cast their ballots.
Both Harrison and the Polk County Election Commission could not be more pleased with how smoothly operations have been conducted during the first week and hopes it will continue through Election Day. They also hope the high turnout will keep lines down when most voters will turn out on November 8th. Early voting will continue through next Monday, November 7th, at the Polk County Office Complex at 606 Pine Street. Hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
On Election Day, Tuesday, November 8th, voters will need to visit their specified polling station to cast their ballots from 7:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. There are 17 polling stations around the county. If you are unsure which station you should vote at, contact the County Clerk’s Office at 479-394-8123.
All polling stations will remain in their previous locations, with exception to one, the Potter Station, which has been moved to Bethel Baptist Church on Highway 375 West, in New Potter.
The 17 polling stations around the county and their locations are:
- PRECINCT 1: FIRE STATION (ON MENA STREET), 1100 MENA STREET, MENA
- PRECINCT 2: 9th STREET MINISTRIES, 306 9TH STREET, MENA
- PRECINCT 3: FIRE STATION (ON DEQUEEN STREET), 603 DEQUEEN STREET, MENA
- PRECINCT 4: ACORN SCHOOL, 143 POLK 96, ACORN
- PRECINCT 5: CONCORD BAPTIST CHURCH, 3467 HWY 88 EAST, INK
- PRECINCT 6: BOARD CAMP BAPTIST CHURCH, 4154 HWY 8 EAST, BOARD CAMP
- PRECINCT 7: CHERRY HILL METHODIST CHURCH, 4014 POLK 70, CHERRY HILL
- PRECINCT 8: BIG FORK COMMUNITY BUILDING, 6101 HWY 8EAST, BIG FORK
- PRECINCT 9: DALLAS VALLEY FIRE STATION, 229 POLK 52, DALLAS VALLEY
- PRECINCT 10: SHADY GROVE FIRE STATION, 113 POLK 49, SHADY GROVE
- PRECINCT 11: MOUNTAIN FORK CHURCH, 5696 HWY 8 WEST, ROCKY
- PRECINCT 12: BETHEL BAPTIST CHURCH, 563 POLK 50, POTTER
- PRECINCT 13: HATFIELD TOWN HALL, 108 HWY 246 WEST, HATFIELD
- PRECINCT 14: COVE TOWN HALL, HWY 71 SOUTH, COVE
- PRECINCT 15: VANDERVOORT COMMUNITY CENTER, 668 POLK ROAD 18, VANDERVOORT
- PRECINCT 16: WICKES TOWN HALL, 132 HWY 278 EAST, WICKES
- PRECINCT 17: GRANNIS TOWN HALL, 132 FRACHISEUR ROAD, GRANNIS