Breaking News

Tag Archives: House Fire

Fire Stopped Inches from Home

BY MELANIE BUCK – Mena Fire Department responded to what was thought to be a house on fire at 1302 Reeves Street around 2:30 on Wednesday afternoon, April 12, 2017. Upon arriving, the fire was found not to be in the home, but in the yard very close to the home. However, the quick work of fire department personnel stopped ...

Read More »

House a Complete Loss Following Fire

BY MELANIE BUCK – A house at 127 Emerald Lane north of Acorn was a complete loss after catching fire yesterday [Wednesday, November 30, 2016] just after noon. The house is owned by Brenda Martin. It took firefighters an hour to gain control of the flames with Acorn, Ink, Dallas Valley, and Polk County Emergency Management responding. Although winds were ...

Read More »

Home Explodes in Hatfield

Gas Leaks Common Occurrence this time of Year BY MELANIE BUCK – A home in Hatfield is a complete loss after it exploded overnight due to a gas leak. The house, which sits next to Hatfield Library and in front of the Hatfield Gymnasium, woke area residents when it exploded around 2 a.m. Wednesday morning, November 2, 2016. Matthew Orris, ...

Read More »

House is Complete Loss Following Early Morning Fire

BY MELANIE BUCK – Members of the Rocky and Shady Grove Fire Departments battled a house fire on the morning of Monday, October 2, 2016. The call came into 911 at 5:18 a.m. regarding a house fire at 1034 Polk Road 47. Firefighters were on the scene until almost 9 a.m. Officials reported that the fire started under the front porch ...

Read More »

Home a Complete Loss Following Arson Fire

BY MELANIE BUCK – A local woman lost her home last week due to an alleged arson fire that occurred in the morning hours on Tuesday, August 9, 2016. Shady Grove Fire Department responded to the call and received mutual aid from Mena Fire Department. It took firefighters around 30 minutes to contain the fire, however, the home was a ...

Read More »

Vacant Acorn Home Heavily Damaged by Fire

BY MELANIE BUCK – Local firefighters responded to a house fire around 5:30 a.m. on Wednesday, June 29, 2016, after a call was received at the 911 Dispatch Center. Acorn Volunteer Fire Department was initially called to the home and received mutual aid from Mena Fire Department, Ink Volunteer Fire Department, and Polk County Emergency Management. The home, located on ...

Read More »

Local Family in Great Need Following House Fire

BY MELANIE BUCK – A local family has lost everything due to a fire that began in their home around 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, January 19th. The family has four members, including an 11-year old daughter and a 9-month old baby boy, and they are in great need of community support during this difficult time. Firefighters from Board Camp, Dallas ...

Read More »

Potter Home Destroyed by Fire

BY MELANIE BUCK – A wooden structured home was deemed a total loss following a fire Tuesday night [January 5th, 2016] in the Potter community. After receiving the emergency call at 8:43 p.m., members of the Potter Volunteer Fire Department responded and later received mutual aid from Hatfield Volunteer Fire Department to fight the blaze on the 4800 block of ...

Read More »

Fire Results in Loss of Structure

BY MELANIE BUCK – Big Fork Fire Department responded to a structure fire after a call came in around 2:15 p.m. on Tuesday, December 16. Fire Chief Calvin Davis said there were flames coming through the roof of the one-story wood structure home in Big Fork when firefighters first arrived on the scene. Although there were still utilities connected, the ...

Read More »

Five Fire Departments Battle 7th Street Blaze

BY MELANIE BUCK – Firefighters continue to battle a blaze at 203 7th Street in Mena that began just before 8 a.m. this morning. The two-story home was unoccupied and fully engulfed when firefighters arrived. Mena Fire Department requested mutual aid assistance from area fire departments including Hatfield, Ink, Potter, and Dallas Valley. The home is owned by Ellen Tuton ...

Read More »