Breaking News

Tag Archives: mena fire department

Fire Stopped Inches from Home

BY MELANIE BUCK – Mena Fire Department responded to what was thought to be a house on fire at 1302 Reeves Street around 2:30 on Wednesday afternoon, April 12, 2017. Upon arriving, the fire was found not to be in the home, but in the yard very close to the home. However, the quick work of fire department personnel stopped ...

Read More »

Fire Spreads Quickly Across Pasture in High Wind Conditions

BY MELANIE BUCK – Mena Fire Department responded to an out-of-control burn on Tuesday afternoon, March 8, 2017, and requested mutual aid from Dallas Valley Volunteer Fire Department. The call came in to 911 dispatch just after 1 p.m. on Tuesday that a controlled burn had gotten out of hand across from the Mena School District Bus Barn. Fire fighters ...

Read More »

Fire Barely Misses Homes Thanks to Rapid Response

BY MELANIE BUCK – Members of the Dallas Valley Volunteer Fire Department were dispatched to a large grass fire on Bethesda Road Tuesday afternoon, January 10, 2017, just after 3 p.m. The grass fire was threatening several homes in the area with high winds pushing the flames directly toward the line of houses. Ink Volunteer Fire Department, Mena Fire Department, and ...

Read More »

Mena Police Dept. to Hold Fundraiser for CASA of the Ouachitas

On September 10th from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., the Mena Police and Fire Departments are teaming up for a fundraising carwash for CASA of the Ouachitas. CASA provides advocates for children within the foster system, giving those kids a consistent relationship with someone while they are in the system and after they go back home as well. This carwash ...

Read More »

Louise Durham 1st Graders Learn Fire Safety

Members of Mena Fire Department and the U.S. Forestry Service educated children at Louise Durham Elementary School today (Wednesday, October 7) as part of National Fire Week. First graders at LD were enthusiastic about meeting Fire Pup and Smokey the Bear and learning how to ‘Stop, Drop, and Roll.’ One intuitive first grader asked fire fighters what to do in ...

Read More »

Mena Fire Department Receives New Rescue Truck

The Mena Fire Department picked up a new pumper truck last week in Louisiana. The truck was a much-needed piece of equipment for the department and will carry 1,000 gallons of water and be used as a rescue truck. The truck was purchased at a price of $314,954 and was paid for with the city’s portion of county sales tax ...

Read More »

Huge Blaze in Potter Destroys Business

BY MELANIE BUCK – Firefighters from three departments and Polk County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to a fire call at approximately 8:20 p.m. on Tuesday evening. Carl’s Furniture in Potter next to the old Sale Barn, was in full blaze when members of Potter, Mena, and Hatfield Fire Departments arrived on scene. Sheriff’s Deputies were on scene to man traffic while firefighters had ...

Read More »

Five Fire Departments Battle 7th Street Blaze

BY MELANIE BUCK – Firefighters continue to battle a blaze at 203 7th Street in Mena that began just before 8 a.m. this morning. The two-story home was unoccupied and fully engulfed when firefighters arrived. Mena Fire Department requested mutual aid assistance from area fire departments including Hatfield, Ink, Potter, and Dallas Valley. The home is owned by Ellen Tuton ...

Read More »

Local Departments Exceed Expectations at Local Blood Drive

[MENA] The Mena Fire Department, Mena Police Department, and the Polk County Sheriff’s Department recently held their annual Guns N Hoses Blood drive at St. Agnes Catholic Church. Arkansas Blood Institute Consultant Greg Womack reported that the drive brought in a new record. A total of 79 area residents came to the drive and 63 of those were able to ...

Read More »

Mena Fire Department Responds to Fire at Wendy’s

BY LEANN DILBECK Mena Fire Department responded to a fire at Wendy’s on Hwy 71 North just after 10 p.m. last night. Customers from Wendy’s, Baskin Robbins and Exxon were evacuated. Smoke was initially coming through to the inside but after investigation, the fire was found in a soffit at the front of the building near the Wendy’s sign, an ...

Read More »