Breaking News

Bearcats Wrap Up Football Season

Last Friday night, November 16 th , the Mena Bearcats (8-4, 5-2) senior high football team traveled to Shiloh Christian, to take on the Saints (11-1, 7-0) in the second round of the 4A State Football Playoffs.

The Bearcats kicked the ball off to Shiloh to begin the game. A couple of plays into their first drive, the Saints scored on a short 1-yard touchdown run, but failed their two-point-conversion try, to make the score 6-0 with around ten minutes left in the first quarter.  Mena was forced to punt on their first offensive possession of the game. The Saints earned possession of the ball again and scored on a 66-yard touchdown pass, to make the score 12-0, after a failed two-point-conversion, with 7:17 left in the first. On the Bearcats next possession, Shiloh returned their punt for a touchdown, and made their two-point-conversion, to extend their lead to 20-0 with 6:13 left in the first quarter of play.  Following another Mena punt, the Saints scored again in the first quarter on a 15-yard touchdown pass with 5:05 left in the quarter, to make the score 28-0 after a two-point-conversion.  The Bearcats then turned the ball on over down on their next offensive possession. The Saints then held the ball into the second quarter and scored on a 5-yard touchdown pass, to make the score 35-0 after a made point-after-attempt.  Shiloh then attempted a successful onside kick to earn the ball back, and a couple of plays later scored on a 15-yard touchdown pass with 10:45 left in the second quarter, making the score 42-0.  After another turnover on downs by the Bearcats, Shiloh scored on a 45-yard touchdown run by their quarterback, to make the score 49-0 with 6:59 left before halftime.  Mena was forced to go for it on fourth down again on their next offensive possession, but came up short, to give the Saints the ball back. Shiloh then scored one last time in the first half, on a 22-yard touchdown pass with 3:30 left, making the eventual halftime score 56-0 in favor of the Saints.  On their first offensive possession of the second half, the Bearcats drove down to the 22-yard line before Zane Stephens completed a touchdown pass to Brock Strother, putting Mena on the board with 8:24 left in the third quarter, down 56-7.  In a very non-offensive second half, the last three point were scored on a Shiloh field goal with 8:37 left in the fourth quarter, to make the official final score 59-7.  Congratulations to all of the Mena Bearcats on a solid 2018-2019 season!

-Easton Leonard

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *