LITTLE ROCK – Attorney General Tim Griffin issued the following statement warning Arkansans about potential scams on Giving Tuesday:
“Giving Tuesday presents a widespread opportunity to support many great charities and causes. Unfortunately, some criminals look to use this outpouring of generosity as a way to scam honest people out of their money. Arkansans should be wary of such scams when considering where to donate money. My hope is that we see an abundance of support for great causes today, and that all of our giving goes to legitimate organizations that are working to make a positive difference in people’s lives.”
To protect your donations from ending up in the hands of scammers, the Attorney General recommends you follow these tips:
• Consumers should search the Arkansas Charities Database for more information on currently registered charities in Arkansas and to avoid charity fraud.
• Watch out for similar but different organization names. Scammers use this tactic to steal consumers’ donations.
• Do not give out financial or personal information over the phone or through email to an unknown entity. Consumers should initiate the contact after doing their own research.
• There are many ways to show generosity on the GivingTuesday website other than donating money.
• Ask questions before giving anything. Donating should come with the comfort that the donation supports a trustworthy organization or activity.
• High-pressure demands or pleas for immediate giving should be avoided, as legitimate charities will not rush a donation.
• Ask for written information to be mailed or emailed to you. A legitimate charity will send information that provides the organization’s mission, how the donation is used and proof that a contribution is tax deductible.
• Never send cash. Make donations by check or credit card for security and tax records.
For more information on protecting yourself against fraud and other consumer-related issues or to file a consumer complaint, visit ArkansasAG.gov or contact the Attorney General’s office at (800) 482-8982 or firstname.lastname@example.org.